Monday, June 09, 2008

3 WEEKS IN 1: FROM 15 MAY TO 24 MAY TO 5 JUNE

--15 MAY--

HOME: I'm pretty sure this is the first time I haven't written you. Wait-so last week I didn't send the letter, but I did write it! Sorry to leave you in the dark for a bit there. I figured with the Mother's Day call, it would make up for it.

I LOVED hearing from you! So it was different from the other calls, (in a good way) but still fantastic! You seemed just a block away, instead of two states. But that's pretty much a block.

I was surprised how much everyone sounded just the same as always! I'm surprised I expected everyone to have changed a lot! :) It was so cool to hear everyone so happy! I think I called at the perfect time.

I guess the reason I thought everyone had changed was because I feel I've changed so much! This learning process. So much has internally re-arranged. Few things are more satisfying than recognizing the careful pruning I've received from the Master of the Vineyard. It has been such a refining process, but I LOVE knowing I'm becoming better because of it!

I love practicing and improving upon my Christlike attributes and so many other aspects of life! I love having the TIME to even THINK about it! Whether its listening carefully to spiritual whispers, or just trying to maintain a "cheery countenance;" listening for and using the subjunctive tense in my Spanish or knowing the scriptures well enough to find the right one in a time of need.

I'm continually grateful to the Lord and to Mom & Papa that I can even recognize what a sweet experience this is. I wish more Elders out here could find the happiness in all the possibilities. Though I have to thank them for helping me to finally see it.

I think it's tough to see how much our labors benefit those we help onto the path to Eternal Life. We leave before we get to see the difference it makes in their lives. We plant so many seeds that we often never see sprout. Yet, we come across healthy trees that aer the result of other missionaries, and it helps add some hope to the faith. I've personally had a fantastic time seeing a family of recent converts

--24 MAY--

...grow in their knowledge and understanding of the gospel, as well as grow in the LDS culture. i laugh at how different it really is (or seems), and never have I been able to see that difference so distinctly until now--as they discover it. (It's the Engel family by the way. Those I mentioned on the sticky from last letter.)

Well, to quickly wrap up (since it IS Saturday), yesterday I'm pretty sure the Lord took some pity on Elder Herrin & I, because the prayer I'd offered at the close of our uncharacteristically energy-draining weekly planning session was totally answered before we came in at 9:00pm.

I asked the Lord to help us get excited about doing the work in this area (not because the area's bad, but simply because we didn't have much going on, and we were getting really lazy and sloppy.) I couldn't figure out WHAT it was that was getting me down so much, but I had decided I was going to endure it patiently and ride it out. I was having NO fun, and was on empty as far as my desire went.

So, we left and decided to go hit up some referrals. It had been a GREAT mail day (two for E. Herrin, two for me-both from Olivia-and NO junk mail!) and two media referrals had come in the mail as well--both English.

The first guy wasn't home, but it was fun joking about how Elder Herrin would have to do all the talking, since when I teach in English it gets awkward.

The SECOND guy, however, ended up being right next door to a strong member family. We started to conjecture, (as we sat in the car deciding our plan of attack), if maybe the members were playing a joke on us. We walked down the long driveway to the door, and as soon as we knocked, three boys came around the corner of the house, all about 13 years old. One we recognized as a member from the family next door. They asked what we were doing.

"Uh, we're looking for Andrew Day?" I asked.
"Huh? No one lives here named Andrew..."

Dang it, we thought, someone IS tricking us...

--5 JUNE--

So we drove off, got a couple of blocks away and decided to call them. Someone answered and said he WAS Andrew. We confirmed the address and it was the same place that we had just been! We pulled up again and walked toward the house. This time a boy came out the front door to meet us. He apologized, and told us his name was really Ben, (an 18 yr. old) , he just didn't like giving his real name out like that.

We began talking on his front porch and he explained that was doing some kind of research for a project he was doing, and wanted to ask us some questions about our faith. He then proceeded to question us on a few random parts of the gospel, things I had never even CONSIDERED someone would be interested in. Elder Herrin & I skillfully and simply did our best to answer his questions (which I had thought he was being very honest and sincere about), and continually bore testimony. He definitely knew the basic doctrines (as he had been taught and had read about in the Bible.) He was a non-denominational Christian, or so he said. But it was amazing how the Spirit would bring up new insights etc. AS we were talking. He wasn't really wanting to bash either, so we were able to talk and discuss without contention.

We left without having taught a lesson, mostly just having answered his questions, but we were recharged with the spirit from almost defending our faith. Not to mention we'd also set up a return appointment. I couldn't have been more happy afterwards though, for the renewed excitement to be a missionary. Once again, our prayers had been answered!

(sorry for the crappy ending to the story. I just found this letter & wanted to quickly finish it off, so I rushed through what was once terribly exciting, and it kind of lost it's umph in the transition.)

--STILL 5 JUNE--

So, this past week... The compromise that I worked out with President has been working marvelously. It's now back to me and I've felt a TON less stress.

This past Saturday we got a chance to hear Elder Ballard speak! It was our mission, the Tacoma mission, and the Seattle mission PLUS every ward's Ward Mission Leaders and bishops. So, unfortunately it was not as intimate as the time Elder Scott came. And his comments were mostly directed towards the ward leadership. But it was still really cool.

THANK YOU much for the recent package! The pictures hit the spot! Not to mention the photo album was PRICELESS! The great room looks SO good! How long ago was it that you replaced the TV?! Did Papa finally get his wish?

Wow... so, I feel kind of out of things to say... but I KNOW there's a TON of stuff that's happened... Oh! I finished another journal a few days ago! I'm on to my FOURTH for my mission! Thankfully, I brought lots of unfinished journals, so I got that base covered.

FYI: random letters from a long time ago showed up a week or two ago. One from Olivia postmarked 10 April (lots of monkeys & animal stickers), that arrived with another from Olivia that WASN'T postmarked, that she dated May 20 (with sacred grove picture) Also, an AMAZING one from Calvin that he dated May 6. (It arrived sometime after Mother's Day.) I also got the one from Unufe/Price. (And one from the Sunbeams!)

Meanwhile, it's cloudy and rainy today. In JUNE! But we've had some good days too. I can't believe its already June. OLIVIA & BEN GET MARRIED TOMORROW! That's nuts! CONGRATULATIONS by the way!

We have a baptism this Saturday! He's a really cool kid named CJ, 15 years old. (Have I mentioned him?) He's been the most golden investigator I've had so far! It's been SO cool working with him. He's had a tough life, but he's overcoming it now, and the gospel is playing a bigger part than he realizes.

SO, there you have it. I'm pulling myself back into the routine. I've stopped complaining to myself about the problems I've been having and I'm DOING something about them. But of course, the same struggles I've always had, begin to arrive as the to-do pile stacks up. In an effort to clean/organize my desk, I forget to finish this letter. While tidying up my closet, I misplace my last black Sarasa.

But seriously, if there's anything I've learned the past week, it's that I really have nothing to complain about. I wake up in the morning, read my scriptures, jump in a car that isn't mine, with gas I don't have to buy, drive around town and talk to people! No worrying about job, school, bills, food (most of the time), relationships, etc. So of course, I should forget about myself, go out and work. I came here to serve, not to be served.

So family, if you want to be happy, lose yourself in the service of others! (See quote by Hinckley, PMG p. 168)

LOVE, ELDER JUAREZ

No comments: