Friday, January 02, 2009

TAKE AN HOUR TO MAKE SOME MEMORIES!

DEC 26

Familia!

I just got off the phone with you about five minutes ago, but of course I still had a lot to say. Or more like I FEEL like I have a lot to say, but really I'm just excited still. It was so good to hear that you were all doing so well and so happy!


I think I have an idea of what Olivia meant when she described her coming home as "weird how weird it wasn't." After three phone calls, I've found it somewhat anti-climactic to talk to you all because of how ordinary and normal it seems. Sure I haven't actually seen you face to face for a year, but we're just the same as always. :D I think I kind of want it to be more dramatic, but I'm glad it's not. That would make it a lot harder.

MOM-I'm always amazed how alike we are. :D Both of us were so excited we couldn't think of anything to say! I was hoping there would be lots of crazy news from home, and I think you were thinking the same. Ha ha...:) One of these days I'll really get that video chat set up, I promise. It was nice to hear how much more relaxed you sound these days. You've definitely been blessed with plenty capacity to fulfill your calling as "Mom". How you've endured so many years of so much stress is literally a miracle. "by all accounts it doesn't make sense..." Thanks so much for the birthday presents! I really enjoy seeing what makes it into the package because it really says a lot. :) But I want you to know I'm very grateful and really appreciate your selfless service in preparing those. It shows your love. Unlike Papa who never sneds me any letters because I never send him any. ;D

Well, I was going to put a little not to each family member in this quick letter, but I decided I'll just make them individually. That way I can add to them individually until I lose them, then find them again in a couple months and then finally send them. We'll see.

DEC 26

So life around the house has changed quite a bit hasn't it? It's always hard to imagine everyone so grown up! I talk to little member kids who are 8 and I think "so Ashton is this big right now!" I'm used to the Ashton that would sit next to me and work on models! Olivia isn't even living at home anymore, Calvin practically takes care of himself; Josie's living up the dating/driving/highschool life; Carmen's just starting it... sheesh! Do you miss the times when we were all there in one house everyday? Do you reflect very often on the hectic lifestyle but the satisfaction of being able to manage it all? I know I miss those days. I never really realized that as soon as I left those days would be relatively over. I can imagine the home life getting pretty quiet and boring as all of us kids grow older and leave the nest. I always had the most fun during those day-to-day interactions. Still, I don't think we'll ever be too far from home. Even so, you might think about picking up blogging or scrapbooking or something, 'cause pretty soon here you'll have a lot of time on your hands and you'll have no idea what to do with it. :D As soon as the house gets clean, organized and well furnished there'll be no one left to use all those bedrooms! You'll have to rent them out to BYU attendees. But who knows right? Not too much to do but just disfrutar the time you've got now! Take an hour and make some memories! Things to remember when you're old! Things for Ashton to relate to people who have never had happy memories like that when he serves a mission! After all, those are the things that will really last. Memories of Chris VanAllsburg, coming down the stairs, always doing advent calendars, receiving our Christmas books, etc. Those are priceless memories to me.

Anyway, I hope you don't feel like a terrivle parent right now, 'cause I sure turned out pretty good, but don't forget to make those moments happen. And please tell me about the good ones that I miss! :D

LOVE YOU,

ELDER SEAN

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I miss Sean. I can't wait to see him when he comes home. It's going to be an awesome day, that's for sure.