Saturday, September 06, 2008

POSTMARKED: 15 AUG 2008

Querida familia:
So it finally happened! They transfered me! I really thought I was going to be staying in Mt. Vernon for a while, but when I got the phone call from President informing me that I'd be a district leader instead of training, it soon became clear Monroe would be my destination. With the six or so new missionaries coming out this transfer, (at least that will be speaking spanish,) the older spanish elders needed to be placed in certain areas where it would be easy to move out the jr. companions.

The LAST thing I thought I'd be doing this transfer was be a district leader. It TOTALLY took me off guard. Her I was, so sure I'd be training but if the Lord wants me to be here, so be it. I was looking forward to some added responsibility, but not THIS much! I feel very incapable, but it's comforting to know that I'm entitled to the extra measure of assistance that I need from the Lord, that I need to fulfill my duties. That's probably the only thing that has been keeping me from stressing out--knowing that as long as I do my best, stay humble and ask for help, He'll make up for what I lack.

I'm sure in a transfer I'll be loving the call, but until then it looks like I'll be doing a ton of praying. I'm glad to know that I'm trusted enough to be a god example to those in my district, but I sure hope I can fulfill the other half of a leader's responsibilities and "lift, encourage, inspire, and bless."

--3 DAYS LATER
"I tell you what, wow!" This is turning out to be really nothing like I imagined. After three days I'm starting to really appreciate the flexibility and leadership of previous district leaders I've had. i'm so used to just focusing on and taking care of the work in my area, but now I have to keep tabs on everyone else's area too! I have to be available for whenever I'm needed by the elders in my district. And then, still, my area is supposed to be the model, example area for my district. So basically, I'm not used to having so little freedom of time to work with investigators, members, ward leaders, etc. I'm finding it rather annoying, mostly because it's a change in the manner and style I work. But it's good! It's a fun challenge for me right now. I have to revise the way I work -- remove as much dead time as I can and be as efficient and effective as possible. Do the same amount of work in less time.

So I'm in a "three-pack" right now with Elder Guillen and Elder Martin. One of the new spanish elders, Elder Cordada, is going home in a couple of days (I'm not sure why, he just wants to go home.) So Elder Martin will probably be "midnighted" tonight or tomorrow. It's been really fun though while we've been together.

BACK TO ORIGINAL DAY OF WRITING?
P-day was pretty fun though. We went hiking up to a huge waterfall! It was the first hike I've been on since I've been here in Washington. I think I figured there'd be more hikes to go on if I was serving a mission in Washington. Anyway, they say that's pretty much all there is to do here in the Snohomish zone. :)

I'm excited to be somewhere new again and to have the chance to get to know a new companion. And to see all the spanish ward members I knew.

How are things at home? Already getting ready for the start of a new school year? Are Olivia and Ben back yet? How's the bike-riding to work going? Any more new additions to the house? :) How was everyone's summer? Were there any family reunions this year?

Well, I hope you all are doing as good as I am and are being excellent to each other. I'll be sending a package home soon with the shirt I promised Calvin along with another late birthday surprise. Just FYI.

LOVE, ELDER JUAREZ

No comments: