Saturday, September 06, 2008

POSTMARKED 22 AUG

Family:

Wow, so this "district leader" thing has been crazy. But I've been having a lot of fun. It's been a very humbling experience, which I'm grateful for. As I've relied more on the Lord, I've seen his hand more in the work.The only downside is that there are 3 elders "dying" this transfer (in my district) and one that dies next transfer! needless to say, I've got a pretty trunky district. Still, It's going great so far, and if I stay here in Monroe, (which it looks like I will,) there's a pretty good chance I'll have a bunch of younger missionaries in my district who I'll be able to help and influence a bit more.

So this "three-pack" thing is GREAT. But it doesn't look like it'll last very long. This past Monday, one of the companions was "midnighted" (so basically President called him up at 3:00 in the afternoon on Sunday and told him he was going to be transfered the next morning) It was done so another spanish Elder, a new one who was going to go home, could be able to be with a companion who could help him more. So now I have a new companion named Elder Ainscough. He's hitting his year mark today! It's weird seeing all the older missionaries go home and slowly becoming one of the older one's in the mission. But it's all part of this progression towards eventually going home. But I gotta say, I've been loving it. - but about the three-pack: Like I said, We've been having a great time. It's a lot more interesting as well as helpful when you've got a third person to talk, share experiences and testify. It really comes in handy having Elder Guillen as a native speaker. Though he isn't quite as fluent as some of the other spanish elders. He learned all his gospel Spanish in the MTC. Either way, I couldn't be happier with the current companion situation.

Monroe isn't a bad place either. It's not quite as rural as Mt. Vernon, but not as city as Bothell. It seems like Monroe and some of the neighboring towns were once mining towns. In the parking lot of a Gocery Outlet store there's a huge smokestack coming out of the middle of the parking lot. So this is an interesting place, but not quite as interesting as Mt. Vernon. Or maybe it's just because I don't know Monroe as well. I was really excited to train last transfer, and now i'm not as much. I guess I really liked the idea of being able to train in Mt. V, but probably because I knew it so well. But I'm not too worried that I won't know Monroe just as well by the time I train. Which looks like it will be coming up here in November. The big turnover of the mission will be happening in the next little while as groups of about 20 missionaries go home and 20 or so new one's come out. I'm kind of excited for it, because it'll give us a chance to more easily guide the mission in the right direction and fix the general trunky attitude of the mission. :)

Anyway, thank you all for your letters along with the tie! I hope all is still well over there in Provo. Let me know how everything goes with Olivia's reception! It's comforting to know you're able to see the blessings in some form or another of my service. The Lord's definitely taking care of you! When does school start? Wow, it's weird to think the school cycle is starting all over again! The days are slowly cooling down over here and it won't be too long before the leaves start falling. Crazy... Anyway, love you all!

ELDER SEAN

No comments: